These books, web sites and links compiled by Minnesota Waters staff are full of information on topics about how to build or sustain an effective citizen-led organization.
To view and download these resources, publications and links, visit the Resources/Building Effective Groups page in the Star Member Section of our website.
- Forming a Citizen-led Lake, Stream or Watershed Association
- Program Planning
- Community Visioning and Action Planning
- Effective Communications 10
- Engaging New Members and Promoting New Leaders
- Raising Money to Get the Job Done
- Forming a Lake and River Group Guidebook by Minnesota Waters
- Becoming a Non-Profit Organization by Minnesota Waters
- Does our Lake or River Group Need Insurance by Minnesota Waters
- How to Start a Nonprofit from Minnesota Council of Non-Profits
- Mission and Values from Minnesota Council of Non-Profits
- State and LGU Water Missions and Activities by Minnesota Waters
- Robert's Rules Of Order Newly Revised In Brief, by Henry Robert III (Da Capo Press, 2004). ISBN-10: 0306813548
- How to Make Meetings Work! from Michael Doyle and David Straus (Jove, 1986). ISBN-10: 0515090484
- Lake Improvement Districts from Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Division of Waters
- Lake Improvement District Questions and Answers from Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Division of Waters
- Lake Improvement District Program Report by Kaitlin Steiger-Meister and Dennis R. Becker
- Program Planning Guidebook by Minnesota Waters
- Basic Guide to Program Evaluation (Free Management Library, June 2009).
- COOL and Idealist Civic Engagement Curriculum, “Setting Objectives,” (Idealist on Campus, November 2009).
- Designing and Managing Programs: An Effectiveness-Based Approach 2nd Edition,Peter Kettner et al. (Sage Publications, 1999).
- Field Guide to Nonprofit Program Design, Marketing and Evaluation, Carter McNamara (Authenticity Consulting, 2003).
- “Measuring Success and Making Change with Evaluation,” Reid Zimmerman (Minnesota Council of Nonprofits, November 2009).
- “Planning Special Events: Blueprint For Success,” Debora Meskauskas (Friends & Foundations of California Libraries, November 2009).
- “Problem Solving and Decision Making: Defining and Gathering,” Joe Landsberger (Study Guides and Strategies, November 2009).
- Visioning Session Agenda
- Visioning Session Worksheet
Also see Minnesota Waters Trainings
Effective Communications 101
- Action Media
- Communicating Effectively Guidebook